All learners will drive their own learning
Learners in piloting classrooms will understand their strengths and needs.
Learners in piloting classrooms will set goals based on strengths and needs in one subject area.
All learners will be self regulated learners
Learners in piloting classrooms develop the skills to identify and regulate behavior.
All learners will be engaged learners
All learners in piloting classrooms will be engaged in their PBL unit.
Asbury Elementary is a small, traditional neighborhood school located in southeast Denver. We areso cio-economically diverse with students from a wide range of backgrounds. Of the 343 students at Asbury, 38% are of a minority race and 40% of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch. We have more than 11 languages spoken at our school and are fortunate to provide English Language Acquisition classes to students learning English. At Asbury, there is a common vision of educating the whole child and providing opportunities for students to grow academically, socially and emotionally. As the world changes, it is critical that we embrace this change with a student driven learning environment that personalizes education in order to prepare our students for a job market that does not yet exist. Our overriding mission is to develop life-long learners that have the essential skills necessary to become responsible and contributing members of a global society with the cooperation and coordination of our extended community.
In the early 1900′s the future site of Asbury was plains and farmland. Asbury Avenue and Asbury School were named after an English bishop, Francis Asbury. The architect designed the school with the English Tudor style partly because it was popular at the time and partly because it made a connection with Bishop Asbury. “Tudor Style” comes from the English designs on the building. For example, the knight above the main entrance and the dragons on the lights in the auditorium are examples of ties to English history. Also, the building is made of brick, which is what the English used in their building. During the time when the school was built, 1924-25, the school board and the architects believed that there should be many windows in each classroom so that the students could look outside at the neighborhood. Twenty-five percent of wall space was designed to be windows. Originally the auditorium had many large windows, but to save energy, they covered the windows. The school district built a planned-for addition in 1927. The neighborhood was growing and more people were coming to the school. So, a gym, an auditorium and several classrooms were added and soon filled up. While parts of the building were being built, and when the school was over-crowded, portable classrooms were used.
A second addition was put on in 1947. It included four more classrooms, a new kindergarten room and a teachers’ room.